Great and Small

I was born into the great open spaces of the West, in the Mile High City. I am happiest nestled up against a mountain, wrapped in a blanket, in front of a roaring fire. My imagination can soar to the strangest of places, so I keep myself grounded in the dirt of my garden. I love being surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a large family during the day, yet crave the quiet moments of solitude in the early dawn. My love and my kitchen pots can feed an army, but I find communion in intimate conversations over a simple cup of coffee. I can plow through the heaviest of books, however I often find truth in a four-line poem by Rumi. Through it all, I have discovered a God large enough to fill the universe and my longings and personal enough to be reflected in every person’s heart.

(My friend said I couldn’t do anything in 150 words—but I did, so there! Now is it your turn, I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!)

10 Responses to Great and Small

1. Cathy G. says:

Wow! I knew I had to write mine before I read yours or I would never do it! I love yours! I found it hard to figure out where to begin, what to cover etc. but at least I tried! Thanks for the challenge, but I better understand your fear of posting what you write! This is a big jump for me! My link is cathyg-footnotes.blogspot.com.

• colleendown says:

I need to have a prize for the first, bravest poster. It was beautiful. I am going to start another thread to share everyones. (Hopefully, there will be some more brave souls)

2. Katy Birrell Adams says:

I don’t know who I am yet. Maybe I never will. At least, not in this life. Maybe in my next, or next. Maybe by then I will be done living in this world, and can settle in the one I am most comfortable in. I can pretty much guarantee it won’t be this one. In that world, there will be obvious beauty in all things, the most intimate of friends to sit on the porch and rock with no matter how far they live, after all, we can get anywhere in the twinkling of an eye. We will sit back and laugh at how hard we made things on ourselves, and wonder how different our lives would have been if we knew then what we know now. Oh, how hindsight is everything, and nothing….yet now, in hindsight, maybe I do know who I am after all.

3. Chelsea says:

Woohoo ill try on my blog too 😉 beautiful

4. Ruthanne says:

I was raised in a closed minded world. I would often run into the walls around my life but was too fearful of the man-god I was taught about to ever break free. When someone I love broke through, I gladly followed. I was introduced to new ideas and opportunities. I learned to accept everyone, but was challenged with the ability to leave regrets behind. I am learning to live in the now, and value a tomorrow. I continue on the quest to find peace with a desire for enough time to achieve it.

Love ya Colleen! Thanks for the homework 🙂

• colleendown says:

Oh the things a true friend has to do 🙂 Thanks for sharing, you are a great writer–and photographer. I need to get more traffic going your way. Your thoughts reflect many of ours. I hope we all have the time to find the peace we are seeking!

5. Cheryl says:

I ask the students I tutor, “What is a product?” It’s the answer you get when you multiply. I am a product — of all I have done multiplied by all those whose paths I have crossed. My life goals include meeting everyone and going everywhere. I am who I am partly because of my elementary classmates in Kentucky multiplied by my friend Angela in Arizona. The beauty of a bay in Puerto Rico multiplied by the friends I was with on that cruise formed me. The teenage students on a bus in Wales and amazing past roommates are factors in my life. Divorced parents, Korea, adoption, Tennessee, special needs daughter, creative son, Colorado, coworkers at a clothing store, Mexico, widowed neighbors — the factor list is innumerable. I am a product, and fortunately, a product is bigger than the numbers you started with.