Help!!….I need somebody

When I was eleven, my cousin Cindy took us to the drive-in to see the movie Willard, a bright and cheery movie about rats overtaking the world. Up to this point, I had avoided horror movies at all costs. My mind had no images of Linda Blair’s spinning head in The Exorcist, or shower stabbings from Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. I had no mental pictures of flocks of birds dive-bombing our house. (Although there was that one unfortunate incident where the student council of Hudson elementary showed The Blob as an after school movie, complete with little red and white boxes of popcorn. I could never look at Jello without shuddering again). But then came Willard, and for years after visions of rat-infested neighborhoods would creep into my dreams. I would run from the room when the “Dialing for Dollars” movie on Sunday afternoon would show the re-run. Even Michael Jackson could not convince me of the emotional attachment one might have to a rat, with his academy awarding winning performance of Ben, the scarier sequel to Willard.  Into adulthood, I have mostly managed to keep my mind riveted on “sunshine, lollipops and raindrops” as I have carefully made my movie selections.  That is until last weekend, when I once again had the experience of seeing another “horror” movie, a movie that disturbed my sleep, a movie that has me looking over my shoulder into my past, a movie that left a pit in my stomach—Steve and I went and saw The Help.

After reading and loving the book, I couldn’t wait to see how it would be portrayed. I had fallen in love with the tenacity of the character, “Skeeter.” She has given me the courage to speak out against some of my own generation’s prejudices. The movie was cast perfectly. I mean who doesn’t love Sissy Spaceck or Emma Stone. The vintage dresses and earrings made we want to run home and put on some bright red lipstick. And the southern cooking, you could almost taste the fried chicken. Plus every “southern” movie always causes a pang of homesickness for my own very southern Nana. I loved it…. I loved it that is until that one scary, horrible scene!  The scene where “Celia Foote”….poor, misunderstood Celia Foote is left standing on the porch while all the ladies quickly hide under the table pretending not to be home. Like a rat climbing up my leg, I wanted to shake it off and scream…instead I just shuddered.

My friend Kimme said it best…”The Help is high school on steroids.” Maybe life at times is high school on steroids.  The Help is more than a story about racial prejudice; it is a story about human life and human foibles and speaks to what it means to be kind, no matter what our circumstances. It shows how important it is to acknowledge each other, to reach out to each other, to say “I am sorry I made a mistake,” to help each other when we are down and most importantly, to open our circles and hearts to include those who may be different. And for me, at the center of the entire movie was Celia Foote—poor misunderstood Celia Foote.

As many may have not seen the movie, I will say no more …but to acknowledge that one scene on the porch. I can remember when I have been left standing on the porch, pie in hand.  More horribly, I can acknowledge the times I have been one of the ladies hiding under the table…caving to the peer pressure around me to exclude someone from the group. Fortunately, every generation has their Atticus Finch to remind us once again how important it is to be kind. A beautiful movie is helping us to remember this summer. Hopefully, this time I won’t forget….. and next time I feel peer pressure to judge or be unkind, I will jump up, run to the door and say, “Celia, welcome, we are so happy to see you.” You know it is rather paradoxical how appropriate the Michael Jackson song is to this movie!

Again…. I loved it—thank you Nate Berkus and Kathryn Stockett

10 Responses to Help!!….I need somebody

1. carolyn chase says:

I didn’t tumble to the HS parallel but certainly felt all those teenage feelings. And still couldn’t understand the motivation behind that kind of behavior.

• colleendown says:

Like all “theater” everything was exaggerated…thank goodness, hopefully none of us have ever been “mean girls”–I know none of my friends ever have, yet it was still a reminder of little painful acts–after all Carolyn-I closed the door on my Dad on my wedding day.

2. Heather says:

I am anxious to see the movie. I’ve been thinking about that song in Aida lately, “Every Story is a Love Story.” I don’t know about every story being a romantic love story, but it seems like so many are about developing a love of thy neighbor, this included.

3. colleendown says:

What an insightful comment: Think of the tag line you could add to so many great books! “To Kill a Mockingbird–A Love Story.” “Of Mice and Men–A Love Story” “Les Miserable”-A Love Story” “Uncle Tom’s Cabin–A Love Story” (I was going to write “Grapes of Wrath” but that what certainly freak Katelyn out right now!)

4. kimme says:

Wow! I really needed to read this today! I skipped church today because of some…’unkind girls’ and wish now that I would have gone. Maybe I need some red lipstick to give me some added courage to ‘kill em with kindness’ as my mom always told me growing up. Thanks Colleen, I miss you and your family so so much!

5. colleendown says:

Aaaaah, KImme–I hope no one is being unkind to you. You can come over here and have some pie. And yes, maybe some coordinating lipstick, earrings and a new sundress will make it all better!

6. Jessica Gregory says:

Thanks for recommending this book for me over Christmas. This is why I have always loved books written about the south. They seem to capture human emotion and teach life lessons all along mixing it with sweet tea on a porch swing. 🙂 I don’t really know what I just wrote…it’s too hot to think. But I loved the movie (even though I had several middle school flashbacks) And like your insight, I too hope I can be more like Skeeter, Celia Foote, the courageous maids, and Atticus Finch.

• colleendown says:

O.K. I hope that since moving to the deep South you have figured out some way to do “sweet tea and a porch swings”–and I think you are like Skeeter (maybe not Celia Foote) but definitely Atticus although much prettier!

7. Cheryl says:

Loved the book, but haven’t seen the movie yet. Maybe I’ll have to comment again after I do. For me, the thing I often think about is our public persona vs. what we really do in the privacy of our own homes and minds. I hope we are kind when people can see us and I hope we are kind when people can’t see us. Sometimes that’s harder, I think.

8. colleendown says:

I hope you get to see it soon, it is a summer movie, you have to be a little hot when watching a movie set in Jackson Mississippi. That integrity thing is so important and being the math whiz you are integrity-integer it is all about being whole!